Do you dread opening your utility bill each month? If you have a utility bill that seems to be higher, you need to understand why it’s so high. Many people are not sure how to save money on their utilities and they end up doing the same thing each month only to see that their bill can quickly rise. Here are some easy ways to start saving money on your utilities:
- Turn down the heat! If you cannot live without your home being 70 degrees during the day, at least consider turning it down to the low 60s at night and wrapping up in a blanket. This can cut your costs tremendously. Keeping your heat at 68 or below will also aid in reducing costs. A programmable thermostat can be beneficial in this situation as you can set it to change based on your sleeping hours.
- Find the cracks and fill them! Many homes have cracks in certain areas that are allowing your warm air to escape. Go around with some caulk and fix the cracks around the windows and doors. This prevents the air from getting out.
- Replace the weather-stripping on the windows and doors. Like the caulk, new weather-stripping can prevent air from escaping.
- Unplug your appliances when they are not in use. Televisions, mixers, and other appliances that are plugged into outlets are actually sucking power. Unplug them unless you plan to use them so you can reduce wasted money.
- Change your light bulbs and start turning off lights. Changing to energy efficient light bulbs can save you a lot of money. You also need to make it a habit to start turning off the lights when you leave a room. You can use motion sensors to light a room as it will turn on the lights each time it detects movement in the room.
- Check your insulation levels. The attic can let a lot of the hot air escape your home. Climb up there and check on the insulation level. You also need to consider adding insulation to the attic access so you don’t have air escaping through it.